- WHO: The 2022 recommended influenza strains in southern hemisphere
- New COVID-19 variant: ETA appeared in at least 82 countries and regions
- Tumor microenvironment and drug resistance in immunotherapy
- Can Probiotics prevent Alzheimer’s disease as regulator of brain function?
- The nano antibody from alpaca effectively against COVID-19 and variants
- COVID-19 can’t escape by the new method of virus detection: DNA sensor
PNAS: How can patients with bowel cancer get more effective treatment?
- Science: Scientists have broken through CO₂ synthetic starch technology!
- Can you complete mRNA COVID-19 vaccination by eating vegetable salad?
- What COVID-19 vaccines does CDC accept if foreigners enter U.S.?
- WHO chief scientist: Soumya Swaminathan may face death penalty charges?
- Israel new drug for COVID-19: EXO-CD24 can reduce deaths by 50%
PNAS: How can patients with bowel cancer get more effective treatment? Scientists have discovered that by activating a protein substance, the effect of the drug can be greatly enhanced!
Bowel cancer is a malignant tumor that is very harmful to humans. Currently available treatment methods include: surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy. However, the existing colorectal cancer drugs are very limited in the treatment of patients. Is there any way to make the existing bowel cancer drugs play a more effective therapeutic effect?
Bowel cancer, commonly known as “colorectal cancer”, usually refers to colorectal cancer, which is a general term for cancers that occur in the rectum and colon. Bowel cancer is a common malignant tumor of the digestive tract in many countries.
The specific cause of the disease is not yet fully clear, and may be related to heredity, genes, lifestyle, eating habits, chronic intestinal inflammation, etc. Patients often experience changes in bowel habits and stool characteristics, abdominal pain, abdominal masses, anemia, weight loss and other symptoms. There are also many patients with bowel cancer in the UK.
It is the fourth most common cancer in the UK, with more than 42,000 people diagnosed with bowel cancer each year. Bowel cancer is also the second leading cancer killer, with 16,000 bowel cancer patients dying every year in the UK.
Recently, scientists at the University of Birmingham conducted in-depth research on this cancer…
As people’s work pressure increases and their daily diets become more and more irregular, many diseases have appeared. Intestinal cancer is one of them. It is relatively common in life. There are many factors that can cause this disease. Brings very serious harm, so we must avoid it from happening. So what are the hazards of bowel cancer? Here are five aspects to introduce the hazards of bowel cancer to humans:
- The hazard of increasing intestinal secretions: The reason why colorectal cancer can cause this situation is mainly caused by the irritation of the intestinal mucosa. A small amount of mucus secretions can be excreted with the stool, which will cause the stool surface to be organized. Like mucus. When the tumor continues to develop, the irritation to the rectal mucosa will be greater. At this time, the patient may feel mild discomfort in the rectum, or often feel a sense of nothingness. When the surface of the advanced rectal cancer tumor is ulcerated, the stool will be thinner, and it may be mixed with mucus and blood like water. When these symptoms appear, it means that the disease is in the advanced stage and the prognosis will be relatively poor.
- The hazard of tumor ulceration. The harm caused by tumor ulceration is very serious. When the tumor ulcerates and loses blood and absorbs toxins in colorectal cancer, it can lead to anemia, low fever, fatigue, weight loss, edema, etc. The main harm of colon cancer is anemia and weight loss. .
- Late hazards. The advanced stage of colorectal cancer can invade the surrounding tissues and organs because of its continuous expansion, leading to dysuria, frequent urination, painful urination and other phenomena. Lumbar pain symptoms, when rectal cancer metastasizes to the liver in the late stage, can lead to hepatomegaly, ascites, jaundice, and even cachexia, which seriously threaten the life of the patient.
- The danger of intestinal obstruction. Colorectal cancer can cause incomplete or complete low intestinal obstruction symptoms, which can cause patients to experience abdominal distension, abdominal pain, or cause constipation or constipation symptoms. During the examination, there may be abdominal protuberance, intestinal shape, local tenderness, and at the same time it can be heard And strong bowel sounds.
- Late can affect bowel movements. Patients with advanced colorectal cancer may experience increased frequency of defecation, incomplete defecation, frequent defecation, tenesmus and other local irritation symptoms of cancer. In addition, the enlargement of cancer can also lead to intestinal stenosis, and finally cause intestinal obstruction. The patient causes greater suffering.
Scientists at the University of Birmingham have discovered a way for the first time in their new research to prevent certain drugs from acting on patients with bowel cancer. This result has never been found in other studies before. This discovery will have great significance. It will not only promote the understanding of the scientific community and clinicians on bowel cancer, but also develop more effective treatments for them. The method of bowel cancer provides ideas and inspiration, so that they can bring the gospel to more bowel cancer patients.
They published the results of this research in “PNAS” magazine. In the research led by this group of scientists, they collected 184 bowel cancer patients to participate in the COIN trial, and conducted detailed analysis and research on their tumor samples and medical records; at the same time, they also conducted research on mice, cell culture environment and Research on laboratory models of precancerous colorectal cancer.
Andrew Beggs, Professor of Cancer Genetics and Surgery at the University of Birmingham, explained: “About 60% of bowel cancers are very sensitive to a drug called anti-EGFR inhibitor. Cancer patients play a therapeutic role. However, in spite of this, in cancers that are sensitive to these drugs, these drugs are only effective for patients in almost half of the cases.”
(source:internet, reference only)