- Why are vegetarians more likely to suffer from depression than meat eaters?
- Small wireless device implanted between skin and skull helps kill cancer cells
- Will the mRNA vaccine that can cure cancer come out near soon?
- Allogeneic T-cell therapy set for landmark first approval
- Boston University denies that the new COVID strain they made has 80% fatality rate
- A new generation of virus-free CAR-T cell therapy
Lung cancer + chronic disease will accelerate the recurrence and metastasis of cancer cells!
Lung cancer + chronic disease will accelerate the recurrence and metastasis of cancer cells! Lung cancer itself is already invading the body. If you suffer from chronic diseases, it will undoubtedly make the situation worse.
Chronic diseases are diseases that have a long course and usually develop slowly. Chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are still the main causes of human death, accounting for 63% of all deaths. These diseases seriously affect the human body’s environment and immunity, and it is very easy for cancer cells in the body to resurrect.
If lung cancer patients encounter these chronic diseases during treatment, the chance of cancer recurrence and metastasis will greatly increase.
▌The relationship between diabetes and lung cancer
Nowadays, the incidence of lung cancer and diabetes is on the rise, and a deep understanding of the correlation between these two diseases may be crucial for improving treatment and survival outcomes.
How is diabetes in the treatment of lung cancer?
1. During the treatment of lung cancer chemotherapeutics, the pancreatic β cells of the patient are damaged to a certain extent, thereby inhibiting the synthesis and secretion of insulin in the patient’s body, which can easily cause the patient’s blood sugar level to rise, and induce or cause diabetes.
Related chemotherapy drugs are: doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, docetaxel and so on. After cisplatin is used, it has severe pancreatic toxicity to a small number of patients and induces the occurrence of diabetes.
2. Chemotherapy drugs can cause serious damage to the liver and kidney functions of the patient, the patient’s glucose metabolism is affected, and the abnormal glucose tolerance is aggravated. Some drugs can even inhibit the patient’s ability to degrade glucose, affect the effect of regulating blood sugar levels, and increase blood sugar abnormally.
3. Glucocorticoids can prevent toxic phenomena such as water and sodium retention and allergies that occur after patients receive paclitaxel treatment, but when using such drugs, they will promote the patient’s gluconeogenesis process and inhibit the process of glucose oxidative phosphorylation. The effect is to reduce the utilization of glucose in the tissues, which may induce diabetes or cause the disease of diabetic patients to aggravate, and make some patients with recessive diabetes turn into dominant diabetes.
Relevant studies have shown that type 2 diabetes may be a potentially poor prognostic factor of lung cancer. It may increase the risk of lung cancer and the risk of death. It is an independent risk factor for recurrence and metastasis of lung cancer patients.
Therefore, when patients undergo chemotherapy, radiotherapy, endocrine and other adjuvant treatments, it is recommended to improve the glucose tolerance test, glycosylated hemoglobin test and insulin test to further improve the monitoring of blood glucose levels. In the diagnosis or treatment process, the patient’s pre-diabetes symptoms are detected as early as possible. In the initial stage of lung cancer development, patients with relatively stable conditions can effectively prevent the occurrence or further development of diabetes, improve the prognosis of patients, and improve lung cancer. The patient’s life and quality of life after treatment.
▌The relationship between cardiovascular disease and lung cancer
Although many cancer patients regard lung cancer as the number one health threat, in fact, these patients, especially women over 65, are more likely to die of cardiovascular disease rather than lung cancer.
In early 2018, the American Heart Association issued a statement that lung cancer treatment may lead to the risk of cardiac dysfunction in patients. Reasons include: high-dose anthracycline (chemotherapeutic drugs) treatment, high-dose radiotherapy, and use of antimetabolites (endocrine therapy drugs).
The results of a large number of studies indicate that lung cancer patients who receive radiotherapy seem to be more susceptible to cardiovascular disease and have a higher risk of death than patients who do not receive radiotherapy.
For patients with previous cardiovascular disease, the risk of dying from lung cancer and cardiovascular disease in the first 5 years is equal, and the proportion of dying from cardiovascular disease after 5 years is higher. For postmenopausal lung cancer patients who survive for more than 5 years, the 10-year mortality rate of cardiovascular events is higher than that of lung cancer.
Therefore, to improve the quality of life of lung cancer patients, how to prevent and treat cardiovascular diseases is very important.
▌The relationship between blood pressure and lung cancer
Due to the disorder of the blood pressure mechanism of the human body, coupled with the disturbance of dietary rules, anorexia, vomiting, and reduction of food intake, the incidence of hypotension in patients with malignant tumors and abnormal blood pressure increases. Hypotension can easily lead to coma and even danger.
Hypertension is a comorbidity of many cancer patients during treatment. Among chemotherapeutic drugs, there have been many reports about cisplatin increasing the risk of hypertension, and some anti-angiogenic drugs can also easily cause significant hypertension.
Therefore, hypertension education is very important before and after tumor surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy. Tell patients and their families to pay attention to the regularity of diet, reasonable eating time, the mechanism of action of different antihypertensive drugs, and reasonable use time, methods, and blood pressure monitoring. importance.
▌The “close relative” of lung cancer: COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a multiple disease of the elderly respiratory system. According to statistics, more than 2.5 million patients die from COPD worldwide each year, making it the fourth leading cause of death in the world. The reason why COPD is called the “close relative” of lung cancer is that patients with a history of COPD have a significantly higher risk of developing lung cancer than patients without a history of COPD. Data shows that 40% to 70% of lung cancers Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, about half of lung cancer patients have moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
COPD severely affects the survival and prognosis of lung cancer patients. Retrospectively studied the long-term survival of patients with early stage (IA-ⅢB) non-small cell lung cancer combined with COPD. They found that the 5-year PFS rate of patients with COPD (none Progressive survival) was 50.1% and OS rate (overall survival time) was 54.4%, which were significantly lower than those of patients without COPD. The risk of death and disease progression of patients with lung cancer combined with COPD are significantly increased.
▌These 5 types of chronic diseases need attention
1. Chronic wasting disease
Chronic wasting disease generally refers to various malignant tumors, tuberculosis, chronic atrophic gastritis, severe trauma, burns, systemic lupus erythematosus, chronic suppurative infection, chronic blood loss and other types of excessive consumption of body energy substances, resulting in negative body energy balance The general term for the disease.
The main categories are:
- Nutritional deficiency, insufficient nutritional intake due to poverty, anorexia, chronic excessive dieting;
- Malabsorption of nutrients is mainly caused by digestive system diseases, such as chronic atrophic gastritis, chronic colitis, and chronic hepatitis. Cachexia will appear in the late stage of these diseases and extreme weight loss will occur.
- Increased nutrient consumption, mainly tuberculosis, tumors (especially malignant tumors);
- Metabolic abnormalities, mainly endocrine abnormalities, such as hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc.
2. Chronic inflammatory diseases
Chronic infectious inflammation such as chronic cholecystitis, chronic pyelonephritis and so on.
The pathogen’s virulence is not strong, but it can cause immune response such as tuberculosis, virus infection.
Long-term exposure to non-degradable but potentially toxic substances such as silicosis.
Persistent immune responses against self-organizations are autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Mental illness
Some mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, neurasthenia, and long-term insomnia have led to loss of appetite, nervousness, and decreased human immunity.
4. Immune diseases
Malnutrition, insufficient type or number of protein intake, unable to produce enough immune cells.
In patients with immunodeficiency diseases such as AIDS, T cells in their bodies are destroyed, cellular immunity is completely lost in the late stage, and humoral immunity is partially lost.
5. Other diseases
Such as anemia, acute infection, etc.
▌Do 4 points to prevent recurrence and metastasis
1. Sufficient sleep
Studies have shown that adequate sleep can allow the heart, brain, liver and other organs to get adequate rest, can maintain normal resistance, help resist the impact of cancer genes, and reduce the probability of cancer recurrence and metastasis.
If this is not enough to impress you, let’s take a look at the effect of long-term lack of sleep on the body:
Long-term lack of sleep will reduce the body’s immunity, weaken the ability to resist and recover from diseases, and aggravate other diseases or induce existing diseases, such as cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. The proto-oncogene may also be activated and the tumor suppressor weakened. , Cancer cells are unscrupulous.
2. Healthy eating habits
A word of “cancer” has three mouths, and it is indispensable to eat and drink indiscriminately. As the saying goes, it is the reason that a disease comes from the mouth. To prevent cancer recurrence and metastasis, you have to keep your mouth shut!
So, how to eat well?
This is the anti-cancer diet recommended by the American Cancer Institute:
- Eat small meals and eat as light as possible, eat less salt-rich foods or pickled foods, and control the amount of salt in your diet to no more than 6 grams per day.
- Drink less or no sugary beverages, and eat less foods with high energy density, such as various desserts and high-fat meats.
- Eat a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans. It is best to eat more than 5 kinds of vegetables a day.
- Reduce the intake of red meat (such as beef, pork and lamb) and eat less processed meat (such as sausage and ham).
- Try not to drink alcohol. If you need to drink alcohol, men drink less than 2 alcohol units per day, and women drink less than 1 alcohol unit per day.
Note: 1 alcohol unit=10ml pure alcohol≈360ml beer, 150ml dry wine or 45ml white wine
3. Exercise regularly
Regarding sports, let’s first look at two studies:
A long-term study of 70,000 people by the Harvard School of Public Health found that walking for more than 40 minutes a day can reduce the probability of colorectal cancer by half.
The lack of necessary exercise will reduce the life span of a person by 3 to 5 years, and increase the probability of cancer, heart disease and stroke by 25% to 50%.
So, how is exercise better?
You can choose to walk as you exercise. The best way is to walk quickly (115~125 steps/min) for about 3 kilometers each time. Of course, jogging, cycling, Tai Chi, etc. are also acceptable.
In addition, exercise is best arranged in the afternoon or after dinner, each exercise lasts 30 to 45 minutes, not more than 1 hour, and persists 3 to 5 times a week.
4. Keep a happy mood
As the saying goes, just smile, for less than ten years, always keep a happy mood, can improve the body’s immunity, which is conducive to health and longevity; and negative emotions can cause neurological and endocrine dysfunction, decreased immunity, and a variety of physiology. And mental illness.
In life, everyone may encounter unsatisfactory things. When the mood is bad, you should use positive methods to self-regulate:
- Laughter often, laughter can promote changes in the human body and improve the function of the immune and endocrine systems.
- Going outdoors more and returning to nature will help boost mood and self-confidence. Because people who are in regular contact with nature are less angry, depressed and nervous.
- Listening to music can help relieve anxiety, help sleep, and enhance memory.
- More contact with animals, animals give people friendship and warmth, let people have an object to talk to, thereby releasing pressure.
Lung cancer + chronic disease will accelerate the recurrence and metastasis of cancer cells!
(source:internet, reference only)