- ‘Cancer-Shattering’ Method Targets Non-Coding Sequences to Eradicate Brain Tumors
- What is HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)?
- Moderna Team Detects No Uptake of mRNA-LNPs in Muscles at Injection Site
- Vitamin B5 Found to Promote Cancer Growth
- Harmful Chemical D5 Found in Common Hair Care Products
- Antibiotics Unveiled as Potential Life Extenders Aiding Healthier Aging
1486 death in Hong Kong: 87% received Chinese inactivated COVID-19 vaccines
- FDA Investigates T-Cell Malignancy Risk in CAR-T Cell Therapy
- WHO Requests More Information from China on Pediatric Clustered Pneumonia
- First Chinese PD-1 Cancer Drug 30 Times More Expensive in U.S. than in China
- Cardiovascular Diseases Linked to COVID-19 Infections
- What is the difference between dopamine and dobutamine?
- How long can the patient live after heart stent surgery?
1486 death in Hong Kong: 87% received Chinese inactivated COVID-19 vaccines, which is more than 7 times that of mRNA vaccines? Hong Kong government clarified: on inactivated vaccines and “death toll”
Hong Kong government: “Both types of COVID-19 vaccines provided in Hong Kong are highly effective and safe in reducing severe illness and death after infection.”
Among the 1,486 deaths in Hong Kong, the proportion of inactivated vaccines is as high as 87%, which is more than 7 times that of mRNA vaccines?
This shocking data comes from the relevant Hong Kong media, which recently reported the number of deaths after different vaccines, causing the industry to question the effect of inactivated vaccines.
To this end, yesterday (20th), the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government issued the “Clarification of the Report on Vaccination of Death Cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019”, expressing regret for the misleading reports. Highly effective and safe for severe and fatal cases.
The Hong Kong government further released the data, in terms of death cases in the age group over 80:
The infection mortality rate of one dose of SINOVAC inactivated vaccine was 5.83%, and the mortality rate of one dose of Pfizer mRNA vaccine was 3.44%;
Infection mortality rates of two doses of inactivated vaccine and mRNA vaccine decreased to 2.95% and 1.51%, respectively.
Misunderstood “more than 7 times the death data”
The latest statistics show that as of March 20, 2022, the fifth wave of the COVID-19 epidemic in Hong Kong has accumulated 1,035,059 infections and 5,683 deaths.
Among the deaths, 87.3% of the population over the age of 70 accounted for 4,959 cases, of which about 28% had been vaccinated.
In this clarification, the Hong Kong government did not name the specific media. Howeverr it was found that this Sunday (20th) , a Hong Kong media released a report saying:
It obtained the case analysis of 1,486 vaccinated deceased patients from the Hospital Authority, and the results showed that 1,292 deaths were vaccinated with inactivated vaccines, accounting for 87%; 184 cases were vaccinated with mRNA, accounting for 12%. The data do not indicate an age distribution.
Although the relevant media emphasized that the data did not adjust for age factors for reasons such as “the number of elderly people who received inactivated vaccines is already more” and “the elderly have a higher risk of death”.
At the same time, Liu Yulong, chairman of the Scientific Committee on Vaccine Preventable Diseases, also told relevant media that other interference reasons should be considered when analyzing the data, such as the proportion of two vaccines in different age groups, vaccination time, age, etc., while most of the elderly are vaccinated.
Live vaccines need to be statistically “regression analysis”, and the number of deaths from the two vaccines cannot be simply compared.
However, because the data at the beginning of the conclusion was too “shocked”, the report caused widespread social discussion, and the death data of more than 7 times also caused the public to question the effect of inactivated vaccines.
The Hong Kong Government reiterates: Both vaccines are effective against severe illness and death
The Hong Kong government emphasized in the clarification that the analysis of the type of vaccination among the deceased vaccinated patients is more complicated, and it is necessary to explore the individual circumstances of each death case, such as the age of the deceased and chronic disease records, etc.
In addition, more elderly people must be considered. The factors of vaccinating Sinovac vaccine should not be drawn casually.
“Clarification” further released relevant data:
Of the first 5,435 deaths in the fifth wave, 88.3% did not receive two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine;
The mortality rate of patients who had received at least two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine was 0.09%, and the mortality rate of those who received one dose or not was 0.7% and 2.58%, respectively. Vaccination definitely helps reduce mortality.
At present, about 80% of the vaccinated seniors over the age of 80 are vaccinated with the Keerlefu (SINOVAC) vaccine, and about 20% are vaccinated with the Fubitai (Pfizer mRNA) vaccine.
Among the 3,837 deaths in the elderly over the age of 80 that have been preliminarily analysed:
- About 74% (2837 cases) of cases were not vaccinated, and the infection mortality rate was as high as 15%;
- Those over 80 who had completed two two-dose Covid-19 vaccines had an infection fatality rate of 2.62% , compared with 5.59% who received one dose;
- For those who died over the age of 80 , the mortality rate of infection after one dose of Sinovac inactivated vaccine was 5.83%, and the mortality rate of one dose of Pfizer mRNA vaccine was 3.44%;
- Infection mortality rates of two doses of inactivated vaccine and mRNA vaccine decreased to 2.95% and 1.51%, respectively.
The Hong Kong government reiterates that the two COVID-19 vaccines provided in Hong Kong are highly effective in reducing severe illness and death after infection, and strongly urges the public who have not been vaccinated to get vaccinated as soon as possible, especially the elderly and long-term patients who are at high risk of death after contracting the COVID-19 virus. patients and others with weakened immune systems.
Vaccination may also be one of Hong Kong’s last “weapons” at this stage.
According to a number of media reports at home and abroad, the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Carrie Lam, held an anti-epidemic press conference today (March 21) , saying that Hong Kong will suspend compulsory testing for all citizens, and will cancel all tests including the United Kingdom and the United States from April 1. Nine countries have banned flights, and schools can resume face-to-face classes from April 19.
By April 20, if the epidemic does not rebound, other epidemic prevention measures will be relaxed in three phases, including:
- In the first stage, restaurants will resume business at night, and the maximum number of people in group gatherings will be relaxed to 4;
- In the second stage, the number of people gathering in groups has been relaxed to 8, and masks are not required when exercising outdoors. The restaurant’s evening business hours are extended from 22:00 to 24:00, and each table is increased from 4 to 8 people.
- In the third stage, restrictions on most places will be relaxed as much as possible, and only basic epidemic prevention requirements will be implemented, including wearing masks, limiting the number of people gathered, using “safe travel” and showing a vaccine pass before entering the venue.
Carrie Lam said that during this month, we will strive to focus on treatment, reduce severe illness and reduce deaths, and further increase the vaccination rate:
By the end of April, it hopes to achieve the goal of increasing the vaccination rate. Including citizens aged 12 and above, the vaccination rate of the second shot has increased to 90%, the vaccination rate of children aged 3 to 11 has increased to 90%, and the first shot vaccination rate of the elderly in residential homes has also increased by 90%.
1486 death in Hong Kong: 87% received Chinese inactivated COVID-19 vaccines
(source:internet, reference only)