July 25, 2024

Medical Trend

Medical News and Medical Resources

Shocking Discovery: 10 to 100 Times More Plastic Detected in US Bottled Water than Estimated

Shocking Discovery: 10 to 100 Times More Plastic Detected in US Bottled Water than Estimated



Shocking Discovery: 10 to 100 Times More Plastic Detected in US Bottled Water than Estimated

Microscopic plastic particles, ranging from 10 to 100 times higher than previous estimates, have been found in bottled water in the United States, causing a stir in the scientific community.

Tiny plastic particles, known as microplastics, generated from the breakdown of discarded plastic waste have long been identified as a contributor to ocean pollution. It was already known that these microplastics, when ingested by fish, could find their way into the human body through seafood consumption.

However, what has taken the world by surprise this time is the detection of plastic particles in bottled water at levels 10 to 100 times higher than previously estimated. According to research from Columbia University and Rutgers University, a one-liter bottle of bottled water contained approximately 240,000 plastic particles.

Among the detected plastic particles, about 10% were microplastics, while the remaining 90% were even smaller nano-plastics. Unlike microplastics, which range from 5 millimeters to 1 micrometer, nano-plastics are less than 1 micrometer in size, making them 70 times smaller than the thickness of a human hair.

Researchers speculate that some of the detected particles may be leaching from plastics used in water filtration systems.

The potential impact of these microplastics and nano-plastics on the human body is not yet fully understood. However, experiments using mice have shown that these tiny plastic particles can enter the bloodstream and accumulate in major tissues and organs. The process has been associated with immune system disorders and organ damage, according to research findings.

In the United States, concerns about water quality, such as the use of lead in old water pipes, have led many people to switch to bottled water. In an era where the safety of what to drink is increasingly uncertain, the implications of this new discovery raise further questions about the safety of bottled water.”

 

Shocking Discovery: 10 to 100 Times More Plastic Detected in US Bottled Water than Estimated

Reference picture

Shocking Discovery: 10 to 100 Times More Plastic Detected in US Bottled Water than Estimated

(source:internet, reference only)


Disclaimer of medicaltrend.org


Important Note: The information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as medical advice.