- Why are vegetarians more likely to suffer from depression than meat eaters?
- Small wireless device implanted between skin and skull helps kill cancer cells
- Will the mRNA vaccine that can cure cancer come out near soon?
- Allogeneic T-cell therapy set for landmark first approval
- Boston University denies that the new COVID strain they made has 80% fatality rate
- A new generation of virus-free CAR-T cell therapy
Japan purchased 120 million doses of AZ vaccine with only about 200K doses
- First human trial of HIV gene therapy: A one-time cure will be achieved if successful!
- New breakthrough in CAR-T cell therapy: Lupus erythematosus patients achieved treatment-free remission for up to 17 months
- How long can the patient live after heart stent surgery?
- First time: Systemic multi-organ recovery after death
- Where do the bacteria in the human gut come from?
Huge waste: Japan purchased 120 million doses of AZ vaccine with only about 200K doses.
The Japanese government signed a contract two years ago to purchase 120 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by the British pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca (AZ), of which 62.3 million were unsubscribed, 44 million were sent to other countries, and 13.5 million were destroyed. About 200,000 doses “for personal use”.
Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported that the Japanese government’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare announced on September 30 that it had ended the use of the British AZ vaccine in the country, mainly because all AZ vaccines had expired; of the approximately 57.7 million doses obtained so far, approximately 13.5 million doses have been destroyed. .
The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare signed a contract with AZ to purchase about 120 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine in December 2020.
It was originally intended to be used as the first and second doses in Japan, but due to reports of adverse thrombosis cases abroad, it was vaccinated in Japan The number has not increased, and the overall number of doses administered is only about 200,000.
Of the approximately 57.7 million doses of AZ vaccine Japan has obtained, in addition to the approximately 200,000 doses administered domestically, approximately 44 million doses have been provided free of charge to Asian countries including Taiwan that have experienced vaccine shortages.
Japanese media have reported in the past that the Japanese government will officially launch the “vaccine diplomacy” to provide overseas vaccine operations in June 2021, and successively provide AZ vaccines to Taiwan, Vietnam and other countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
After deducting about 57.7 million doses from the 120 million doses purchased under the contract, the Japanese government has canceled the remaining about 62.3 million doses.
These unsubscribed parts of the vaccine contract fee will be refunded to the Japanese government after deducting necessary expenses.
Asahi Shimbun reported that the relevant business person of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare said that at that time, because it was unknown which pharmaceutical company could successfully develop a COVID-19 vaccine, it was necessary to contact and sign contracts with several pharmaceutical companies, and it was a last resort to destroy the vaccine.
Huge waste: Japan purchased 120 million doses of AZ vaccine with only about 200K doses
(source:internet, reference only)