April 23, 2024

Medical Trend

Medical News and Medical Resources

Teenager Saved from Antifreeze Poisoning by 2.5kg Liquor

Teenager Saved from Antifreeze Poisoning by 2.5kg Liquor



Teenager Saved from Antifreeze Poisoning by 2.5kg Liquor

On Feb 10, 2024, A 17-year-old girl was rushed to the People’s Hospital in Fuyang City, Anhui Province, China, after accidentally drinking antifreeze, which led to multiple organ failure and a coma upon arrival.

According to her family, the specific antidote for antifreeze poisoning, called methanol, is in short supply and not readily available in China. In response, doctors at the hospital devised a treatment plan that included the administration of high-concentration liquor and continuous blood purification measures. Over the course of the treatment, the girl was nasally fed about 2.5 kg of high-concentration liquor.

 

Teenager Saved from Antifreeze Poisoning by 2.5kg Liquor

 

After 5 days of intensive care, the girl’s condition stabilized, and she was transferred out of the intensive care unit. Doctors explained that antifreeze poisoning has a high fatality rate, with as little as 80 milliliters of antifreeze being enough to cause death. Even with the availability of methanol, it can take up to a week to obtain the antidote.

 

 


Why can Liquor used to treat Antifreeze Poisoning?

The information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as medical advice.

Antifreeze is mainly composed of ethylene glycol, which is relatively non-toxic on its own and has a sedative effect on the central nervous system. However, its metabolite, oxalic acid, is highly toxic. Ethanol and ethylene glycol are metabolized in the body by the same enzyme, with ethanol having a competitive inhibitory effect on ethylene glycol.

When ethylene glycol cannot be metabolized, it is excreted from the body without causing harm.

After confirming that ethanol could be used as a substitute for methanol in detoxification, doctors decided to administer 50 milliliters of liquor through a gastric tube.

 

In addition to gastric tube insertion, mechanical ventilation, enema, anti-infection treatment, acid suppression, seizure control, and intravenous nutritional support were also provided. To ensure precise treatment, the emergency medicine team collaborated with a provincial hospital. With the efforts of the medical staff, the patient gradually improved.

 

The doctors adjusted the treatment plan and liquor dosage based on the patient’s symptoms. Ultimately, the patient was saved from the brink of death with the help of 5 bottles of liquor.

 

The doctors emphasized the importance of inducing vomiting immediately after accidental ingestion of antifreeze.

They also advised storing antifreeze in a dedicated container with a label and keeping it out of reach to prevent accidental ingestion.

If antifreeze is accidentally ingested, one should induce vomiting immediately and seek medical attention as soon as possible to avoid serious consequences.

Teenager Saved from Antifreeze Poisoning by 2.5kg Liquor

(source:internet, reference only)


Disclaimer of medicaltrend.org


Important Note: The information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as medical advice.